Published on Nov. 4, 2021
One of our all-time favorite festive recipes containing eggs: egg biryani made with the help of the pressure cooker and using basic everyday ingredients like rice, eggs, yogurt, spices and masala. This egg dish fits perfect on a bright day like Diwali.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients (serving 4)
For cooking the rice
- 2 Cups Basmati rice
- 5 Cups water - to make the rice
- 1 Tsp walt
- 4 cloves
- 2 dry bay leaf (Tej Patta)
Other Biryani Ingredients
- 4 medium red onions - thinly chopped
- 4 Tbsp oil - to fry onion
- 2 Tbsp flour - for crisping biryani
- 1 Tbsp ginger paste
- 1 Tbsp garlic paste
- 2 Tbsp chopped almonds - optional
- 1 Cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 Cup water
- 10 fresh mint leaves
- 4 Tbsp olive oil - to make masala
- 4 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 Tsp rose water
- Few strands of Saffron
- 3 Tbsp milk ( to soak the saffron)
- 1 cinnamon stick - broken into 2-3 pieces
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 black cardamom
- 6 green cardamom
- 4 cloves
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 Tsp black pepper powder
- 2 Tbsp coriander powder
- 2 Tbsp cumin powder
- 2 Tbsp garam masala
- 1/2 Tsp turmeric
- 1 Tsp red chili powder
- Salt – to your liking
Cooking the Rice
- Heat 5 cups water In a large pot.
- Once the water starts to boil, add rice, salt, bay leaf, and cloves.
- Stir everything and let this simmer on low-medium heat for 17 minutes.
- Check the rice after 15 minutes, it should have cooked 90% hence turn off the heat.
- Strain the rice of water and keep aside.
Cooking the Eggs
- Place 8 boiled eggs in a large bowl and sprinkle red chili powder, turmeric, and salt.
- Coat the eggs with the above spices and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tsp oil in a large non-stick pressure cooker (I’m using a 7-liter pressure cooker).
- Add the eggs and sauté for 2 minutes on low flames.
- Once the eggs start to blister and brown on each side, turn off the heat.
- Remove the eggs and keep aside.
Frying the Onions
- In a large plate, add thinly sliced onions, 1 tsp oil, and flour. Mix everything (lightly coat onions with flour for extra crispiness).
- In the same pressure cooker, add 3 tbsp. oil and 4 tbsp. of coated onion mixture.
- Sauté on low-medium flame till onion turns brownish pink and crisp up.
- Remove from the cooker and keep on paper towel/plate.
- Similarly, fry all the onions and keep aside.
Making the Egg Biryani
- In the same pressure cooker, heat 3 tbsp. oil + 2 tbsp. ghee.
- Add all the crushed whole spices and sauté for a minute.
- Add ginger + garlic paste, all powdered spices and sauté on medium heat till they turn golden in color (about 2 minutes).
- Now add fried onions and sauté.
- Add yogurt, water, and cover cook for another 2 minutes.
- Now add fried eggs and let everything simmer for 2 minutes. Then turn off the heat.
- Remove eggs separately in a bowl and remove the cooked masala in a separate bowl. (Leave the pressure cooker as is for further use).
Layer the Egg Biryani in Pressure Cooker
- In the same pressure cooker, place 2 ladles of cooked rice, sprinkle 2tbsp of cooked masala, add 2 tbsp. of fried onions, chopped cilantro + mint, 1 or 2 fried eggs and sprinkle color if using.
- Layer 2 ladles of rice and follow the process above.
- Repeat the process until you reach the top of the dish.
- Now add remaining fried eggs, fried onion, masala and cilantro + mint, 2 tbsp. ghee (all remaining ingredients).
- Add rose water and saffron soaked in milk.
- Cover the pressure cooker and let cook for 2 minutes on medium flames.
- Turn off the heat and wait for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the egg biryani using a big fork (scoop and mix the rice and egg layers).
- The egg biryani is ready to serve, Bon Appetit!