Published on April 6, 2023
Egg recipe: Chicken Meringue Cupcakes
During long weekends it can be fun to experiment with baking. That's why we would like to share this recipe of Chicken Meringue Cupcakes with you. You can tell we have an affinity for eggs and chickens!
- 200 g unsalted butter (room temp)
- 200 g caster sugar
- 200 g self raising flour
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 tsp lemon extract (or zest of 1 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon cacao
Chicken Meringue kisses (+20 pieces)
- 2 egg-whites at room temperature (55 grams)
- 110g caster sugar (exactly double of the egg whites)
- a pinch of salt
- Lemon curd
- Edible chocolate pens or marzipan
- Preheat the oven to 180ºc/160ºfan, and line a muffin tray with 12 cases - or get 12 baking cups ready.
- In a large bowl, add the unsalted butter and caster sugar and beat together until light and fluffy.
- Add the self-raising flour, eggs, cacao, and lemon extract and beat again until smooth and perfect.
- Split the mixture between the 12 cases and bake the cupcakes in the oven for 20-22 minutes, or until baked through.
- Leave the cupcakes to cool fully.
- Preheat the oven to 100 °C
- Take a clean bowl, add the egg whites and pinch of salt. Whip the egg whites until foamy. Increase the speed a little continue whisking until stiff peaks form, add the sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, ensuring it comes back to stiff peaks.
- Whisk for 5-7 minutes until all the sugar is dissolved
- Use a piping bag and nozzle of choice, pipe the meringue kisses onto the parchment paper.
- Bake the meringues for 35-45 minutes until they come off the parchment paper easily. Shut off the oven and open the door slightly, let them cool completely.
Create little eyes and beaks on the meringue kisses with the edible pens/chocolate/marzipan
Glue the chicken meringues on the cupcake by making use of the Lemon-Curd